Cold Weather Operation
Do not jump on or off the Backhoe Loader (BHL). Always face the BHL, use handrails and
steps, and use three points of contact to get onto or off the BHL. Failure to comply may
result in serious injury or death to personnel.
The BHL is equipped with engine grid heater that will ignite flammable starting fluids. Do not
use starting fluids. Fire and explosion may occur. Failure to comply may result in serious
injury or death to personnel.
If the BHL has not been operated for several weeks or engine oil filter has been replaced,
prime turbocharger with oil (WP 0010). Failure to comply may result in damage to
Open throttle fully when starting cold engine at temperatures below 29°F (1°C).
If operator does not crank engine within 30 seconds after engine grid heater indicator lamp
extinguishes, starting procedure must be started over.
For description and use of operator controls and indicators, refer to WP 0004 thru WP 0009.
1. Engage parking brake.
2. Make sure seat is in normal driving position.
3. Adjust seat and fasten seat belt.
4. Shift direction control lever to neutral position.
5. Make sure engine hand throttle is in idle position.
6. Set light control switch to STOP LIGHT position.
7. Turn starter key switch to ON position and make sure the following instrument panel indicator and
warning lamps illuminate: engine grid heater, low engine oil pressure, alternator, air filter restriction,
and hydraulic oil filter.