UNUSUAL ENVIRONMENT/WEATHER - Continued
Wait for engine grid heater indicator lamp to extinguish.
If engine starts and stops, do not actuate starter motor again until starter motor stops turning.
Failure to comply may result in damage to starter motor.
Do not actuate starter motor more than 30 seconds at one time. Let starter motor cool for 2
minutes before actuating again. While starter motor is actuated, white or black smoke must
be seen at exhaust pipe. If no smoke is seen, check fuel supply. Failure to comply may
result in damage to starter motor.
If engine fails to start after two attempts, allow battery to recover for 4 to 5 minutes before
repeating starting procedure (steps 7 thru 10 above).
9. Turn starter key switch to START position for a maximum of 30 seconds and hold until engine starts.
10. Release starter key switch.
11. If engine does not start after maximum of 30 seconds of cranking, wait 2 minutes and repeat starting
procedure (steps 7 thru 10 above).
12. After engine starts, check instrument panel to make sure instrument readings are normal.
13. Operate engine at 1,000 rpm until coolant temperature is warm (engine coolant temperature gage in
green range) before moving the BHL.
14. Actuate Front End Loader (FEL) or backhoe controls for approximately 10 minutes and until all cylinders
work smoothly and hydraulic oil is at operating temperature.
15. Before operation, move the BHL slowly in low gear.