Hydraulic Method of Checking Port Closure (Pump Timing Point) -- Continued
6. Crank engine in direction of rotation until number one piston is approaching Top-Dead-Center (TDC) on
Figure 11. Injection Pump Governor Control Lever and Shut-Off Lever Positions.
The large inspection plug on side of injection pump adjacent to number one plunger may
be removed to observe number one tappet on up stroke.
7. Continue cranking engine until a degree mark (approximately 10 to 20 degrees before specified timing degree
mark of 38 degrees) lines up with timing pointer.
8. Hand crank engine slowly while maintaining 250 to 300 psi (1,725 to 2,070 kPa) pressure with test pump. Note
flow of fuel out of drip tube from No. 1 delivery valve.
9. Continue cranking and maintaining pressure until fuel flow diminishes from flow to drops, then stop cranking
10. Check at what point degree mark on vibration damper lines up with timing pointer. This point should coincide
with specified timing of 38 degrees plus or minus one engine degree. If timing is incorrect it must be re-timed
as outlined in step 11.