Position piston rings so that gaps are 90 degrees from thrust side of piston (in line with
piston pin bore) and 180 degrees from one gap to another.
5. Using a piston ring expander, install piston rings (Figure 9, Items 1, 2, 3, and 4) into grooves of six pistons
(Figure 9, Item 5). Install oil ring coil spring expander (Figure 9, Item 4) in groove before chrome oil control ring
(Figure 13, Item 3) is installed. Also, coil spring joint must be approximately 180 degrees from oil control ring
6. Install chrome tapered face keystone compression ring (Figure 9, Item 2) in middle ring groove with side
marked UP-2 facing up.
7. Install top barrel-chrome keystone compression ring (Figure 9, Item 1) in top ring groove with the side marked
TOP facing up.
Figure 9. Piston Rings Correctly Installed on Piston.
END OF TASK
When installing a piston and connecting rod assembly which was formerly used in the
engine, install the assembly in the same cylinder from which it was removed. When a new
piston or a new piston and connecting rod assembly is being installed, install a matched
1. Install six piston and connecting rod assemblies in engine (WP 0093).
2. Piston and connecting rod assemblies (Figure 10, Item 3) must be installed through top of crankcase (Figure
10, Item 4).
3. Coat a piston (Figure 10, Item 3) and piston ring compressor (Figure 10, Item 2) with clean lubricating oil (WP
4. Install piston and rod assembly (Figure 10, Item 3) into piston ring compressor (Figure 10, Item 2).