4. Install new O-ring (Figure 7, Item 1) in groove of seal retainer (Figure 7, Item 2).
Figure 7. Oil Seal Installation.
5. Grease seal surface of axle hub (Figure 8, Item 1) and O-ring (Figure 8, Item 3). Push retainer (Figure 8, Item
2) in position being sure it contacts axle housing flange about its entire circumference.
6. Inspect end surface of axle spindle (Figure 8, Item 4) for nicks, burrs, or other irregularities. If necessary, file
surface until it is flat and smooth. File carefully to prevent a wavy surface. Entire surface must be at 90 degrees
to centerline of axle bore.
7. Coat outside diameter of a new axle seal (Figure 8, Item 5) with Loctite 496 sealant or equivalent sealant and
use a suitable driver to install seal in axle bore. This seal must bottom in its bore.
Figure 8. Oil Seals Installation.