CLEANING, INSPECTION, AND REPAIR
1. Clean and inspect all parts IAW General Maintenance Instructions (WP 0019).
Coat parts to be assembled immediately with lubricant to prevent corrosion.
2. Parts that have been cleaned, dried, and inspected and are to be assembled immediately should be coated
with light oil to prevent corrosion. If parts are to be stored for any length of time, they should be treated with a
good rust preventive and wrapped in special paper or other material designed to prevent corrosion.
1. Inspect all bearing cups and cones, including those not removed, for wear, pitting, or damage. Replace if
If it becomes necessary to replace ring or pinion gear, both gears must be replaced with a
2. Inspect hypoid gears for wear, pitting, scoring, or ridges and replace if necessary.
3. Inspect differential case halves, thrust washers, spider trunnions, and differential gears for pitted, scored, or
worn thrust surfaces. Thrust washers must be replaced in sets.
Pinion and side gears must be replaced in sets.
4. Inspect differential pinion gears, thrust washers, side gear teeth, and spider gear for wear or damage. Replace
if worn or damaged.
1. Remove nicks, mars, and/or burrs from machined or ground surfaces.
2. All threads must be clean and free to obtain accurate adjustment and correct torque.
END OF TASK