and withdraw the starting motor from the flywheel
Apply a good quality, lightweight grease on the drive
clutch pinion to make sure the clutch will slide freely
while compressing the spring. Also apply grease to the
4. Disassemble the starting motor.
fingers of the clutch fork and on the spool of the
clutch yoke engaged by the fork. This lubrication
5. Wash the hydrostarter drive clutch assembly in
period may be reduced or lengthened according to the
clean fuel oil to remove the old lubricant.
severity of service.
6. When the clutch is free, apply SAE 5W lubricating
Remove the pipe plug from the starting motor drive
housing and saturate the shaft oil wick with engine oil.
Then reinstall the plug.
7. Reassemble the starting motor and reinstall it on
the engine. Then attach a tag to the starter noting the
After lubricating, install the starting motor on the
lubricant used in the clutch.
flywheel housing and recharge the accumulator with
8. Recharge the accumulator with the hand pump.
the hand pump.
On engines equipped with a hydraulic remote control
system, lubricate the shaft in the master cylinder
through the pressure grease fitting every 2000 hours.
In addition to the normal hydrostarter lubrication and
maintenance instructions, the following special precau-
tions must be taken for marine installations or other
cases where equipment is subject to salt spray and air,
Cold Weather Operation
or other corrosive atmospheres:
Occasionally, when an engine is operated in regions of
1. Clean all exposed surfaces and apply a coat of zinc-
very low temperatures, the starter drive clutch
chromate primer, followed by a coat of suitable paint.
assembly may slip when the starter is engaged. If the
clutch slips, proceed as follows:
2. Apply a liberal coating of Lubriplate, type 130AA,
or equivalent, to the following surfaces.
1. Release the oil pressure in the system by opening
the relief valve in the hand pump.
a. The exposed end of the starter control valve and
around the control shaft where it passes through
the clutch housing.
CAUTION: The oil pressure in the system must
be released prior to servicing the hydrostarter
b. The exposed ends of the hand pump cam pin.
motor or other components to prevent possible
injury to personnel or equipment.
3. Operate all of the moving parts and check the
protective paint and lubrication every week.
2. Disconnect the hydraulic hoses from the starting
Consult an authorized Detroit Diesel Allison Service
Outlet for any information relating to the hydrostarter
3. Remove the three retaining bolts and lock washers