ALTERNATING CURRENT POWER GENERATOR SET
s t a r t e d . Refer to the appropriate Delco Products
These instructions cover the fundamental procedure\
for operating an alternating current power generator
set. The operator should read thsee instructions before
3. The over-speed trip solenoid lever located at the air
attempting to operate the generator set
inlet housing must he in the open or reset position.
PREPARATION FOR STARTING
4. Refer to Fig. 1 and place the circuit breaker (10) in
the off position.
Before attempting to start a new or an overhauled
e n g i n e or an engine which has been in storage.
5. Place the field switch (7) in the off position.
perform all of the operations listed under Preparation
for Starting Engine First Time. Before a routine start
6. Place the synchronizing lamp switch (6) in the off
see Daily Operations in the Lubrication and Preventive
7. Place the voltage regulator switch (3) in the off or
In addition to the Engine Operating Instructions, the
following instructions also apply when operating an
alternating current power generator set.
8. Turn the field rheostat knob (8) clockwise to its
1. Before the first start, check the generator main
hearing oil reservoir. If necessary, add sufficient
9 Make sure the power generator set has been cleared
lubricating oil of the same grade that is used in the
of all tools or other objects which might interfere with
engine crankcase to bring it to the proper level on the
sight gage. Do not overfill.
2. Check the Interior of the generator for dust or
moisture. Blow out dust with low pressure air (25 psi or
If the generator set is operated in a closed space, start
172 kPa maximum). If there is moisture on the interior
the ventilating fan or open the doors and windows, as
of the generator, it must be dried before the set is
weather permits, to supply ample air to the engine.
Fig. 1 - Typical Alternating Current Generator Control Cabinets