2. Carefully remove pinion shaft, planet pinion, pinion
38. Support weight of differential and carrier assembly
thrust washers, pinion rollers, and pinion roller spacer
with hoist. Remove bolts, nuts, washers, and dowels
(Fig. 42). Rollers will drop from pinions. Take care to
securing differential carrier to axle housing (Fig. 39).
prevent losing them.
39. lift differential and carrier assembly from axle hous-
ing with hoist (Fig. 40). If necessary, break seal be-
Disassembly of Hub and Drum Assembly
tween parts by tapping with plastic hammer. Remove
1. Match-mark hub and drum to insure proper reassembly
Disassembly of Planet Carrier Assembly
2. Cut lockwires and remove bolts securing brake drum
1. Place planet carrier assembly in press as shown and
to hub (Fig. 44). Remove brake drum and oil catcher.
press out pinion shaft (Fig. 41). Take care to catch
pinion shaft lock ball released as shaft is pressed out.