2. If replacement of internal gear is necessary, cut lock-
3. Drive out cam roller pin (Fig. 51). Remove roller.
wires and remove bolts securing internal gear to hub
(Fig. 54). Separate internal gear from hub.
NOTE: On some axle models, internal gears are se-
cured to hubs with bolts inserted through drilled holes
in internal gear and screwed into hub instead of as
shown in Fig. 54.
4. Check brake lining for oil grease saturation, wear,
and looseness. If loose, tighten retaining bolts to
200 to 220 inch-pounds torque. If saturated with
grease, replace all lining blocks. To move linings,
remove nuts, lockwashers, and bolts retaining lining to
shoes (FIG. 52).
NOTE: When replacing brake linings, all linings on
both sides of axle assembly should be replaced at
the same time.
Disassembly of Differential and Carrier
1. Mount differential on differential overhaul stand.
Check and record ring gear backlash with dial indica-
tor. This information is necessary for reassembly unless
a new gear set is installed (Fig. 55).
D i s a s s e m b l y of Internal Gear and Hub
1. Drive bearing cone from hub, (Fig. 53)