5. Insert metal bar through differential to facilitate hoist-
2. If axle is not equipped with parking brake, companion
ing. Raise ends individually and remove adjusting nuts
flange nut should be loosened now to facilitate flange
and bearing cups (Fig. 59).
removal later. Position socket on flange nut and then
install flange retainer tool with two spacers between
tool and flange. Spacer dimensions are given in fig. 30.
Loosen flange nut [Fig. 56).
NOTE: Standard 2 5/8 -inch socket will not fit flange nut
because socket walls are too thick to enter flange.
Machine socket as shown in Fig. 31 to provide proper
6. Hoist differential with assembled bearing cones from
carrier assembly (Fig. 60). Tilt differential to allow ring
gear to pass web in differential carrier.
3. Remove lockwire and adjusting nut lock. Before remov-
ing bearing cap bolts, use center punch to matchmark
bearing caps to carrier assembly. This is to insure cor-
rect match in reassembly (Fig. 57).
7. If axle is not equipped with parking brake, remove
shaft nut that was loosened as shown in Fig. 56. Re-
move washer. Remove companion flange from pinion
shaft with puller (Fig. 61). If companion flange was
removed to provide access to parking brake and re-
installed to facilitate handling differential, it can prob-
ably be removed by hand.
4. Remove bearing cap bolts and bearing caps (Fig. 58).