a. Remove bolts securing seal retainer to carrier and
Disassembly of Standard Differential
remove retainer (Fig. 62). If necessary, tap with soft
1. Match-mark case halves to insure correct reassembly
mallet to break seal between parts.
(Fig. 65). Cut lockwires that secure differential case
NOTE: If axle assembly is equipped with No SPIN dif-
ferential, proceed to Pig. 68 for special instructions.
9. Screw two bolts in puller holes and pull bearing cage
from carrier assembly (Fig. 63). This pulls outer pinion
bearing cone from shaft. Turn each bolt equally to pre-
vent damage to carrier, shaft, or bearings. After bear-
ing cage is pulled out a short distance, back off puller
screws and insert .030" shim stock under puller screws
before pulling is continued, to reduce possible dam-
2. Remove differential bolts securing case halves. Lift off
age to shim pack under flange of bearing cage.
plain case half (Fig. 66). Use soft mallet if necessary
to aid removal.
NOTE: Some differential case halves are secured with
bolts and self-locking nuts instead of bolts and lock-
10. Remove pinion shaft assembly from carrier (Fig. 64).
Remove bearing cage shims. Retain bearing cage
shim pack intact for possible reuse in reassembly.
3. Remove spider, pinions, and thrust washers (Fig. 67).