6. Assemble parking brake shoes and upper brake shoe
3. Secure differential carrier to axle housing with bolts,
return spring, Spread shoes apart and position shoes
nuts, washers, and tapered dowels (Fig. 158). Tighten
on brake backing in engagement with operating cam
nuts on the four studs first, then tighten all bolts evenly
lever and roller (Fig. 161).
until they are snug. Tighten all nuts and bolts to speci-
NOTE: Some axles use bolts of several different lengths
without nuts and dowels. Determine length of bolt re-
quired by checking thickness of differential carrier
flange and depth of mounting holes. Select correct
bolt for each position.
4. On axles which incorporate a parking brake, remove
companion flange which was temporarily installed to
facilitate hoisting differential. Position parking brake
backing plate on differential and carrier assembly and
7. Install lower brake shoe return spring with brake
secure with four bolts and lockwashers. Tighten bolts to
spring pliers (Fig. 162).
5. Position brake operating cam lever and roller on brake
backing plate (Fig. 160).