Misalignment of Flanges
o t h e r . If they are not parallel they will cause a
The machined surfaces of two flanges connected
vibration and short prop shaft bearing life.
by a common prop shaft must be parallel with each
1. Place the protractor on front flange and read
2. Place the protractor on rear flange and read the
a n g l e indicated on scale. A level protractor
angle indicated on the scale. Both readings must
should be used to check the flanges to see that
be the same within one degree.
they are parallel.
The causes for flange misalignment:
output shaft would not be parallel. It also means
1. Loose mounting bolts on transmission, engine,
t h e flange on the front of the midmount and
midmount or axials.
the flange on the front axial would not be par-
2. Dirt or foreign material between the mounting
surfaces on the frame and component. For ex-
3. Excessively worn hinge pins
ample: dirt on the mounting surface of the mid-
mount bearing could cause it to be out of
4. Distorted flange
a l i g n m e n t . This means that the flange on the
m i d m o u n t and the flange on the transmission