DISASSEMBLY AND ASSEMBLY
REMOVE BALANCER SHAFTS
a) remove timing gear cover
b) remove oil pump
1. Remove bolts, lock and washer (l) that hold
the balancer shafts in the cylinder block.
2. Remove balancer shaft (2) from the cylinder
INSTALL BALANCER SHAFTS
b. Put the engine on top center compression
stroke. See FINDING TOP CENTER
COMPRESSION POSITION FOR NO. 1
PISTON in TESTING AND ADJUSTING.
2. Put clean engine oil on the balancer shaft. Put
balancer shaft (1) in position in the cylinder
block. Install washer (2), locks and bolts.
3. Turn both balancer shafts until the flat part on
each shaft is away from the oil pan plate. Install
two 3/8-16 NC bolts 1 ½ long through the oil
pan plate and into the holes in the balancer
shafts. This will make the shafts so they will not
turn. Do not tighten the bolts against the bot-
tom of the holes in the shafts.
4. Install oil pump. See INSTALL OIL PUMP.
5. Remove the two 3/8-16 NC bolts from the
balancer shafts. Check to see that the balancer
shaft timing is correct. The balancer shaft tim-
ing is correct when the holes in the balancer
shafts are in alignment with the holes in the oil
pan plate, and No. 1 piston is at top center
a) install timing gear cover
b) install oil pan