4-4. FRONT AND REAR AXLES DIFFERENTIAL ASSEMBLY MAlNTENANCE (CONT)
a. Differential Carrier (Cont).
(SHEET 3 OF 6)
Put flange holding tool on yoke
(9) and secure using two 7/16-
2ONF by one inch long cap-
screws. Install other end of
tool in vise.
Using torque wrench multiplier and
torque wrench, tighten nut (7) to 800
to 1100 lb-ft.
If preload of cone and rollers (20)
was checked using hydraulic press
(steps (11) through (15) above), go
to step (28) below.
Following steps (22) through (27)
are performed to check preload of
cone and rollers in cage (18).
Fasten one end of a piece of cord or string to cage (18). Wrap around
cage several times.
Attach other end of cord to hand-held indicating dial scale.
Do not read scale when cage (18)
begins to turn. Wait until scale is
moving smoothly and scale reading
remains approximately constant.
(24) Pull scale smoothly on a horizontal
line to measure preload of cones and
rollers (15 and 20). Watch scale
while cage (18) is turning.
(25) If scale indicates two to eight pounds, preload is correct; go to step
(22) below. If scale indication is not two to eight pounds, go to step
(26) Press pinion (23) shaft from cage (18) assembly. Install thicker spacer
(19) on pinion (23) shaft to decrease scale reading; install thinner
spacer (19) to increase scale reading. Press cage (18) assembly onto
pinion (23) shaft. Repeat steps (22) through (25) above.