[ 3-9. FRONT AND REAR AXLES MAINTENANCE (CONT) ]
c. Front Axle Planetary Assemblies (Cont).
INSTALLATION (SHEET 2 OF 3)
(12) Wrap a piece of cord several
times around wheel hub (31).
(13) Connect indicating dial scale
to free end of cord.
(14) Pull indicating dial scale hor-
izontally and smoothly away
from wheel hub (31).
(15) When indicating dial scale in-
dication remains approximately
constant, note and record indi-
(16) If measurement recorded above
is 8 to 15 pounds, go to step
(19) below. Otherwise, go to
step (17) below.
(17) If measurement exceeds 15 pounds,
loosen wheel bearing nut (9) using
wheel bearing nut tool. If measurement is less than 8 pounds, tighten
wheel bearing nut (9) using wheel bearing nut tool.
(18) Repeat steps (12) through (16) above.
(19) Adjust wheel bearing nut (9) using wheel bearing nut tool until one point
of nut is centered between two threaded holes in ring gear hub (10).
Check that indicating dial scale indicates 8 to 15 pounds.
(20) Install lock plate (8) and two socket head screws (7). Tighten socket
head screws securely.