3-9. FRONT AND REAR AXLES MAINTENANCE (CONT)
e. Rear Axle Differential Assembly (Cont).
INSTALLATION (SHEET 2 OF 2)
(5) Connect chain hoist to differential assembly.
(6) Position differential assembly above axle housing. Lower differential
assembly into rear axle housing. Guide differential assembly
studs in housing with mating holes in differential assembly.
Install 14 washers and nuts. Tighten nuts to 110 to 165 lb-ft.
Install axle shafts and planetary gear spiders (page 3-408).
Install rear axle (page 3-388).
Whenever a component or line in the brake system is disconnected for
servicing, the air must be bled from the brake system. Failure to do so
could cause serious injury or death due to loss of braking control.
Refer to TM 5-3805-262-20 for bleeding air from brake system.
(10) Bleed air from hydraulic brake system (refer to TM 5-3805-262-20).
(11) Service rear axle (refer to TM 5-3805-262-20 and LO 5-3805-262-12).
(12) Install transport/service link in operating position (refer to TM
Be sure transport/service link is disengaged before driving vehicle.
Failure to do so could cause serious injury or death due to loss of