4-1. ENGINE MAINTENANCE (CONT)
d. Crankshaft and Main Bearings (Cont).
INSTALLATION (SHEET 4 OF 5)
(23) Apply non-hardening sealant to the housing flange on engine, from lower
capscrew holes to bottom of flange only.
(24) Install new gasket (5) and apply non-hardening sealant to gasket from
lower capscrew holes to bottom of gasket. Trim excess gasket material.
(25) Place rear seal lip positioning tool on crankshaft.
(26) Install new rear oil seal (4) in oil seal retainer (3). Lubricate seal
lip using lubriplate and press seal into retainer until seal is 0.060 to
0.090 inch inside seal retainer rim all the way around.
(27) Position rear oil seal (4) and oil seal retainer (3) as an assembly over
rear seal lip positioning tool.
(28) Install six capscrews (2) to secure oil seal retainer (3).
(29) Remove rear seal lip positioning tool.
(30) Tighten capscrews (2) to 35 to 42 lb-ft.
(31) Install timing gear cover (page 4-71).
(32) Lubricate new front oil seal lip (1) using oil-soluble grease.