OPERATION UNDER UNUSUAL CONDITIONS - CONTINUED
OPERATION IN SANDY OR DUSTY CONDITIONS
N OT E
Refer to FM 90-3, Desert Operations.
Maintain steady, even movement with transmission in lower gears. Try to keep machine rolling without straining engine
and powertrain. If machine gets stuck, notify Unit Maintenance.
Whenever operating in sandy or dusty areas, you should:
WARN I N G
· If NBC exposure is suspected, personnel wearing protective equipment should handle all air cleaner
media. Consult your NBC Officer or NBC NCO for appropriate handling or disposal procedures.
· NBC contaminated filters must be handled using adequate precautions and must be disposed of by
· Failure to follow these warnings may cause injury or death to personnel.
Ensure each tire has a valve cap.
If machine overheats, stop and perform troubleshooting procedures.
Ensure engine and transmission dipsticks and oil filler caps are cleaned before they are removed to check fluid lev-
els. Clean accumulations of sand and dirt from around fluid filler locations before checking or adding fluids.
WARN I N G
· DO NOT smoke or permit any open flame in area of machine while you are servicing fuel system. Be
sure hose nozzle is grounded against filler tube during refueling to prevent static electricity. Failure to
follow this warning may result in injury to personnel or damage to equipment.
· Operating personnel must wear fuel-resistant gloves when handling fuels. If exposed to fuel, promptly
wash exposed skin and change fuel-soaked clothing.
· ALWAYS stop engine prior to refuelling. If equipped with an arctic cold weather starting aid system,
turn engine coolant heater off.
N OT E
Ensure portable fire extinguisher is within reach prior to refueling.
Clean spouts of fuel containers and area around filler cap on fuel tank before adding fuel (WP 0013 00). Under
extremely sandy or dusty conditions, filter fuel when filling tank.
Notify Unit Maintenance to clean, inspect, and lubricate more frequently.
When operating the machine on soft sand at slow speeds, tire inflation pressure may be decreased for improved
traction. Refer to FM 21-305, Manual for the Wheeled Vehicle Driver.
Check hydraulic cylinders frequently. DO NOT allow dust, dirt, or sand to collect on cylinder rods.