HOW TO USE ON-BOARD DIAGNOSTICS - CONTINUED
FAILURE MODE IDENTIFIERS (FMIS) - CONTINUED
Table 1. Detailed FMI Explanation - Continued.
Current Below Normal
Current through a component or system is lower than its limit. FMI 05 is most often
or Open Circuit.
related to a driver circuit. Some possible causes of an FMI 05 diagnostic code are:
· There is an open circuit or a poor wiring harness connection.
There is a switch in OPEN position.
Current Above Normal
Current through a component or system is higher than its limit. FMI 06 is most often
or Grounded Circuit.
related to a driver circuit. This fault is very similar to FMI 04. Some possible causes
of an FMI 06 diagnostic code are:
· There is a short to ground in a wiring harness connection.
There is a shorted relay.
A faulty control will also cause an FMI 06, although this is very unlikely.
Mechanical System Not
Control detects a signal sent to a mechanical system and the response is not correct.
Some possible causes of an FMI 07 diagnostic code are:
· Component responds improperly.
· Component is stuck in a position.
· Component has failed.
· Engine is shut down.
· Machine is being used improperly.
This code occurs when a signal is not in its expected range. FMI 08 can also relate to
Pulse Width, or Period.
a faulty sensor. Some possible causes of an FMI 08 diagnostic code are:
· Wiring harness connections are intermittent or poor.
· Engine misfired.
· There are loose mechanical devices.
This relates to communications on the data link. FMI 09 occurs when a control is not
able to get information from another control. Some possible causes of an FMI 09
diagnostic code are:
· Control module is not communicating on data link correctly.
· Rate of data transmission is abnormal.
· Data link has failed.
· There is a mismatch of software.
Abnormal Rate of
This relates to a signal that changes too quickly. The rate of change is outside of its
Failure Mode Not
Control identifies more than one FMI as being responsible for a single failure. Some
possible causes of an FMI 11 diagnostic code are:
· There is a mechanical failure.
· There is damage to multiple circuits.