TROUBLESHOOTING WITHOUT A DIAGNOSTIC CODE - CONTINUED
Table 1. Engine Troubleshooting - Continued.
TEST OR INSPECTION
9. Perform Cylinder Balance Test (WP
If problem still exists, go to Test 10.
Engine Cannot Reach Top
Rpm - Continued.
10. Check valve lash (WP 0155 00).
1. Adjust valve lash as necessary.
2. If problem still exists, go to Test 11.
1. If compression on one or more
cylinders is low, replace engine (WP
2. If compression is OK or if problem still
exists, go to Test 12.
12. Perform Fuel Injector Nozzle Test (WP 1. If nozzles are damaged or defective,
replace them as necessary.
2. If problem still exists, go to Test 13.
13. Inspect turbocharger, drain, wastegate, 1. If necessary, replace turbocharger,
and mounting bolts (WP 0165 00).
adjust wastegate, tighten bolts, or
unblock restricted drain.
2. If problem still exists, go to Test 14.
14. Use MSD to ensure problem is not a
1. If necessary, remove user-defined
parameter for top engine speed.
2. If problem still exists, go to Test 15.
15. Use MSD to ensure correct mode was
1. If necessary, select correct mode.
2. If problem still exists, go to Test 16.
16. Use MSD to verify correct engine
If rating is correct, go to Test 17.
rating for engine.
17. Use MSD to verify maximum engine
1. Use MSD to reset parameters to OEM
2. If problem still exists, use MSD to
observe signal for throttle position
sensor. If signal is erratic, perform
Throttle Position Sensor Circuit Test
Engine Cranks but Will Not 1. Visually check for fuel in tank (fuel
1. Add fuel if necessary (TM 5-3805-290-
gage may be faulty).
2. If problem still exists, go to Test 2.
2. Connect MSD and check for active
1. Troubleshoot any active codes before
diagnostic codes using ET software.
continuing with this procedure. Refer
to Troubleshooting With a Diagnostic
2. If problem still exists, go to Test 3.