TROUBLESHOOTING WITHOUT A DIAGNOSTIC CODE - CONTINUED
Table 1. Engine Troubleshooting - Continued.
TEST OR INSPECTION
4. Perform Air in Fuel System Test (WP
If problem still exists, go to Test 5.
12. Excessive White Smoke -
5. Check for fuel supply lines that are
1. Replace or repair any restricted fuel
lines (WP 0030 00, WP 0035 00, and
(WP 0036 00).
2. If problem still exists, go to Test 6.
1. Drain and fill tank (WP 0166 00).
6. If temperature is below 32oF (0oC),
check for solidified fuel (wax) in tank. 2. If problem still exists, go to Test 7.
7. Perform Cylinder Balance Test (WP
1. If there is no reduction in engine speed,
go to Test 10.
2. If all cylinders have been checked and
no problems were detected, go to Test
8. Check valve lash (WP 0155 00).
1. Adjust valve lash as necessary.
2. If problem still exists, go to Test 9.
1. If compression in one or more cylinders
is low, replace engine (WP 0145 00).
2. If compression is OK, but problem still
exists, go to Test 10.
10. Perform Fuel Injector Nozzle Test (WP 1. If nozzle(s) are damaged or defective,
replace them as necessary.
2. If problem still exists, go to Test 11.
11. Connect MSD and check for active
If active diagnostic codes exist, perform
diagnostic codes for engine pressure or Engine Temperature Sensor Open or Short
Pressure Sensor Supply Circuit Test (WP
Refer to Troubleshooting With An Event
13. Elevated Idle.
Connect MSD and check for active
1. Troubleshoot any active codes before
14. Engine Speed Does Not
diagnostic codes using ET software (WP
continuing with this procedure. Refer
to Troubleshooting With a Diagnostic
2. If problem still exists, perform Set