ELECTRICAL SYSTEM TESTS, INSPECTIONS, AND ADJUSTMENTS - CONTINUED
CAN DATA LINK CIRCUIT TEST
N OT E
· Use this procedure if another procedure has directed you here and if any of these diagnostic codes are active:
342-2 Loss of Secondary Engine Speed Signal.
174-02 Fuel Temperature Sensor Data Erratic.
320-02 Speed/Timing Sensor Mechanical Failure.
1684-14 Fuel Injection Pump no Communication.
· CAN data link is communication link between ECM and fuel injection pump. CAN data link uses J1:48/P40:1
CAN+ and J1:58/P40:2 CAN- connections to communicate with ECM.
· CAN data link is used to communicate engine timing, fuel demand to the fuel injection pump, data from fuel
injection pump, and status of fuel injection pump.
· Failure in CAN data link causes engine to shut down and engine to not start.
· If no communication between ECM and fuel injection pump occurs, a 1684-14 diagnostic code will be accom-
panied by 174-02 and 320-02 diagnostic codes.
· If 1684-14 is active and 174-02 and 320-02 are NOT active, then problem is intermittent loss of communica-
Check for problem with power delay to fuel injection pump under either of these conditions:
ECM has been activated and 1684-14 is active while 174-02 and 320-02 are not active.
1684-14 is repeatedly logged after engine start switch is turned ON.
N OT E
DO NOT attempt to repair wiring harness between ECM and fuel injection pump. If wiring harness is
damaged, wiring harness must be replaced.