TRANSMISSION AND TORQUE CONVERTER REPLACEMENT - CONTINUED
CLEANING AND INSPECTION
WARN I N G
· Solvent cleaning compound MIL-PRF-680 Type III is an environmentally compliant and low-toxic
material. However, it may be irritating to the eyes and skin. Use protective gloves and goggles. Use in
well-ventilated areas. Keep away from open flames and other sources of ignition. Failure to do so may
result in injury or death to personnel.
· Particles blown by compressed air are hazardous. DO NOT exceed 15 psi (103 kPa) nozzle pressure
when drying parts with compressed air. DO NOT direct compressed air against human skin. Make sure
air stream is directed away from user and other personnel in the area. To prevent injury, user must
wear protective goggles or face shield. Failure to follow this warning may result in injury to personnel.
Clean all parts and surfaces with solvent cleaning compound.
Dry parts with compressed air.
Inspect all parts for damage, wear, pitting, cracks, or corrosion and replace if necessary.
TORQUE CONVERTER INSTALLATION
WARN I N G
Use extreme caution when handling heavy parts. Provide adequate support and use assistance during pro-
cedure. Ensure any lifting equipment used is in good condition and of suitable load capacity. Keep clear of
heavy parts supported only by lifting equipment. Failure to follow this warning may result in injury or
death to personnel.
N OT E
· Transmission weighs 1,100 lb (499 kg).
· Torque converter weighs 420 lb (191 kg).
· Apply antiseize compound to threads of flex plate bolts before installation.
· Apply a thin coat of clean oil to all O-rings before installation.
Install flex plate (75) with six bolts (74) on torque converter (73).
With assistance, use lifting equipment to install torque converter (73) on transmission.
Remove transmission from repair stand and jack stand.