HOW TO USE ON-BOARD DIAGNOSTICS - CONTINUED
FAILURE MODE IDENTIFIERS (FMIs) - CONTINUED
Table 1. Detailed FMI Explanation - Continued.
Current Below Normal
Current through component or system is lower than limit. FMI 05 is most often related
or Open Circuit.
to a driver circuit. Some possible causes of an FMI 05 diagnostic code are:
· There is an open circuit or a poor wiring harness connection.
There is a switch in OPEN position.
Current Above Normal
Current through component or system is higher than limit. FMI 06 is most often related
or Grounded Circuit.
to a driver circuit. This fault is very similar to FMI 04. Some possible causes of an FMI
06 diagnostic code are:
· There is a short to ground in wiring harness connection.
There is a shorted relay.
A faulty control will also cause an FMI 06, although this is very unlikely.
Mechanical System Not
Control detects a signal sent to a mechanical system and response is not correct. Some
possible causes of an FMI 07 diagnostic code are:
· Component responds improperly.
· Component is stuck in a position.
· Component has failed.
· Engine is shut down.
· Machine is being used improperly.
This code occurs when signal is not in expected range. FMI 08 can also relate to a faulty
Pulse Width, or Period.
sensor. Some possible causes of an FMI 08 diagnostic code are:
· Wiring harness connections are intermittent or poor.
· Engine misfired.
· There are loose mechanical devices.
This relates to communications on data link. FMI 09 occurs when a control is not able
to get information from another control. Some possible causes of an FMI 09 diagnostic
· Control module is not communicating on data link correctly.
· Rate of data transmission is abnormal.
· Data link has failed.
· There is a mismatch of software.
Abnormal Rate of
This relates to a signal that changes too quickly. Rate of change is outside of expected
Failure Mode Not
Control identifies more than one FMI as being responsible for a single failure. Some
possible causes of an FMI 11 diagnostic code are:
· There is a mechanical failure.
· There is damage to multiple circuits.