TROUBLESHOOTING WITHOUT A DIAGNOSTIC CODE - CONTINUED
Table 1. Engine Troubleshooting - Continued.
TEST OR INSPECTION
Engine Cranks but Will Not 6. Perform Fuel System Pressure Test
If problem still exists, go to Test 7.
Start - Continued.
7. Check for air in the low pressure supply 1. Prime fuel system (TM 5-3805-291-
system if any of the following
procedures have been performed:
2. If problem still exists, go to Test 8.
on the low pressure fuel supply circuit,
or replacement of the fuel injectors.
8. Connect MSD (WP 0005 00) and check 1. Troubleshoot any active codes before
for active diagnostic codes.
continuing with the procedure. Refer to
2. If problem still exists, go to Test 9.
9. Crank the engine and observe the
1. If engine speed is present, confirm
engine speed on the ET status screen.
crankshaft and camshaft speed timing
(Initial cranking may indicate engine
sensor are flush against the housing
speed is abnormal. Message will be
(WP 0076 00 and WP 0078 00).
replaced when ECM calculates speed
2. If engine speed is not present, perform
Engine Speed Timing Sensor Circuit
3. If problem still exists, go to Test 10.
10. If an erratic noise occurs during
1. If damaged, replace starter motor (WP
cranking, remove starter motor (WP
0051 00) or flywheel (WP 0177 00).
0051 00) and check starter motor
2. If problem still exists, go to Test 11.
pinion and flywheel ring gear for
damage (WP 0177 00).
11. Perform Electrical Power Supply
If problem still exists, go to Test 12.
12. If cold conditions exist, check
1. If starting aid is inoperative, perform
Ether Injection System Test (WP 0013
operation of starting aid (TM 5-3805-
2. If problem still exists, go to Test 13.
13. Ensure injector wiring harness is fully
1. Verify harness connection is not faulty.
connected and free of corrosion (WP
Replace, if necessary (WP 0187 00).
2. If problem still exists, go to Test 14.
14. Use MSD to perform Injector Solenoid If problem still exists, go to Test 15.
Test to confirm that all injector
ECM. If not, perform Injector solenoid
15. Remove valve cover and look for
1. Repair any damage.
obvious signs of mechanical problems. 2. If problem still exists, go to Test 16.