TROUBLESHOOTING WITHOUT A DIAGNOSTIC CODE - CONTINUED
Table 1. Engine Troubleshooting - Continued.
TEST OR INSPECTION
N OT E
20. Exhaust Temperature is
Too High - Continued.
It is not necessary to swap the injector trim files for this temporary exchange
of two injectors. Injectors must be properly installed and adjusted for this
3. Use MSD to perform Cylinder Cutout
1. If misfire problem stays with the
suspect injector, replace the suspect
Temporarily swap suspect injector
injector and install new trim file for it
from the misfiring cylinder with an
(WP 0187 00). The other good injector
injector from a cylinder that is not
that was moved must first be returned
to its original position or its trim file
cylinder cutout test to determine
must be moved to its new location.
whether the misfire stays with the
2. If the cylinder cutout test indicates the
suspect injector or with the original
misfire continues to be in the same
cylinder, the suspect injector is not the
problem. Return the injectors to their
original position or move the trim files
to the new location. Investigate other
possible causes of misfire for the
problem cylinder, check valve lash
(WP 0179 00).
3. If problem still exists, go to Test 4.
4. Remove valve cover (WP 0024 00) and Make any necessary repairs.
oil pan (WP 0181 00). Check for worn
cam lobes, lifters, or push rods for the
misfiring cylinder. Check for
5. Check for leaks between exhaust
2. If problem still exists, go to Test 6.
manifold and turbocharger (TM 5-
6. Check air intake and exhaust system for Remove any blockages or restrictions and
restrictions and/or leaks (TM 5-3805- replace damaged air intake and exhaust
1. Inspect water pump weep hole for
1. If weep hole is blocked, replace water
21. Engine Oil in Cooling
2. If problem still exists, go to Test 2.
2. Check for leaks in oil cooler core (WP
1. If a leak is found, install a new oil
cooler core and change engine oil (WP
2. If problem still exists, go to Test 3.
3. Remove cylinder head (WP 0172 00)
1. If damaged, replace cylinder head.
and inspect for signs of damage.
2. If problem still exists, replace engine
(WP 0171 00).