OPERATION IN EXTREME COLD CONTINUED
Use lubricants specified in LO 5-3805-292-13 for the temperature range that applies to the lowest expected ambi-
Engine Pre-Heating Cold Start System
The Engine Pre-Heat light will illuminate in all ambient conditions.
1. For temperatures below 50°F (10°C), push POWER button to enable START button and begin grid heater 30-
second pre-heat countdown. Wait until Engine Pre-Heating Light turns off and then press START button. Refer
2. For temperatures above 50°F (10°C), push POWER button to enable START button and then press START
1. When machines are operating in cold conditions under 50°F (10°C), refer to Engine Pre-Heating Cold Start
System in this work package for engine starting procedures.
2. Before starting, ensure fuel and oil in engine and transmission are thin enough to flow. If oil drips from engine
oil level dipstick, oil is thin enough for engine to be started.
Low idling speeds during extremely cold temperatures can result in incomplete
combustion and heavy deposit formations on valves. These deposits can cause burned
valves, bent pushrods, or other damage to valve components.
3. After engine has started, allow enough time for engine to reach operating temperature (two bars on Engine
Coolant Temperature Bar Graph). Run engine at reduced speed only long enough to circulate oil through
engine. Then increase engine speed and warm up engine.