MARINE TRANSPORT (RO/RO PROCEDURES)
INTRODUCTION, RO/RO REGULATIONS, LOADING MACHINE ON SHIP, UNLOADING
MACHINE FROM SHIP, LOADING CONTAINER ON SHIP, UNLOADING CONTAINER FROM SHIP
Estimated Time To Complete
1. The M400T and M400W Skid Steer Loaders (SSL) may be transported on the following types of marine ves-
a. Roll-On/Roll-Off (RO/RO).
b. Break bulk (general cargo).
Barge carrying (LASH and SEABEE).
2. At all times, the machine's movements are under the overall control of the RO/RO vehicle director. Loading
and unloading are accomplished by following the vehicle director's traffic control pattern.
3. Machines are loaded by moving them from dockside to the appropriate level and hold on board ship. Once
parked, crews secure machines for shipping by lashing, shoring, blocking, or bracing, as appropriate.
Unloading is accomplished by moving machines from onboard ship to dockside.
Be alert for personnel in the area while operating machine. Always check to ensure area is
clear of personnel and obstructions before moving. Failure to follow this warning may
result in injury or death to personnel or damage to equipment.
4. In order to accomplish RO/RO, the machine must be driven up and down ramps. The grade of the ramps will
vary, depending on the tide and the weight of the ship at the time of loading or unloading. Ground guide
assistance is mandatory when driving on ramps.
5. In order to ensure the safety of all personnel involved, the machine's operator must be familiar with all RO/RO
regulations and procedures.