Table 1. 96 Fuel Level Sensor Diagnostic Codes - Continued.
CID FMI CODE
TEST OR INSPECTION
96-5 Fuel Level Sensor
Current Is Below Normal
· Always inspect wiring harness connectors that are involved in the circuit.
Poor connections can often be the cause of a problem in an electrical
circuit. Verify that all connections in the circuit are clean and secure and
that all connections are in good condition. If a problem with the
connection is found, correct the problem and verify that this malfunction
or diagnostic code is active before performing this procedure.
· Perform open or short-circuit test at each wiring harness connection to
identify the correct wiring harness to replace.
· Tag all wiring harnesses to aid in installation.
· Perform this test only if condition is active.
DIAGNOSTIC CODE SET CONDITION
Transmission ECM detects status of both parking brake disengaged and engaged
inputs are open.
· Fuel level sensor is faulty.
· Lower cab wiring harness is open.
· Rear frame wiring harness is open.
· Cab ground is open.
· Transmission ECM.
Test Step 1. Check for Active
Connect MSD, select Transmission
Diagnostic Code 96-5 Active -
924H, and check for active diagnostic
Proceed to Test Step 2.
Diagnostic Code 96-5 Not Active -
Troubleshooting is complete.