FINDING TOP DEAD CENTER (TDC) CONTINUED
Cylinder number 1 is at front of engine; cylinder number 4 is at rear of engine.
4. Rotate engine clockwise while noting position of number 4 cylinder rocker arms. Rotate engine clockwise until
number 4 cylinder exhaust rocker closes and intake rocker starts to open.
5. Rotate engine approximately 1/4 turn counterclockwise.
6. Position valve gauge block (Figure 2, Item 3) on number 1 rocker arm assembly (Figure 2, Item 5) and intake
rocker (Figure 2, Item 2).
7. Install bolt (Figure 2, Item 4) on valve gauge block (Figure 2, Item 3) in valve cover threads (Figure 2, Item 1).
Figure 2. Valve Gauge Block.
8. Rotate engine clockwise until piston contacts valve and engine will not turn.
When marking crankshaft pulley, any reference point can be used on the engine. Pulley
sensor boss is used for this example.
9. Place mark (Figure 3, Item 2) on crank pulley (Figure 3, Item 1), noting reference point on engine.