When servicing this machine, performing maintenance or disposing of materials such as
engine coolant, hydraulic fluid, lubricants, battery acids or batteries, and CARC paint,
consult your unit/local hazardous waste disposal center or safety office for local regulatory
guidance. If further information is needed, please contact The Army Environmental Hotline
DO NOT service cooling system unless engine has cooled. This is a pressurized cooling
system and escaping steam or hot coolant will cause serious burns.
DO NOT remove cooling system radiator cap when engine is hot. Allow engine to cool
down. Loosen cap to let any pressure out of cooling system, then remove cap.
Wear effective eye, hand, and skin protection when handling coolants.
Failure to follow these warnings may result in injury or serious burns to personnel.
Engine cooling system holds approximately 19 qt (18 L) of antifreeze.
1. Raise engine hood (TM 5-2420-231-10).
2. Loosen cap.
3. Install drain hose (Figure 1, Item 2) on radiator drain cock (Figure 1, Item 1).
4. Open radiator drain cock (Figure 1, Item 1) and drain engine coolant into suitable container.
5. Close radiator drain cock (Figure 1, Item 1) and remove drain hose (Figure 1, Item 2).
6. Ensure all engine coolant collected in a suitable container is disposed of in accordance with local policy and
ordinances. Clean up any spills immediately.
Figure 1. Draining.
END OF TASK