INSPECTION INSTRUCTIONS CONTINUED
If gear teeth wear limits have not been established, use good judgment to determine if
a. Inspect all gears for cracks. No cracks are permissible.
b. Inspect gear teeth for wear, sharp fins, burrs, and galled or pitted surfaces.
Check keyway slots for wear or damage. If keyways are worn, damaged, or elongated, replace gear.
a. Check all bushings and bushing-type bearings for secure fit, evidence of overheating, wear, burrs, nicks,
and out-of-round condition. Replace as necessary.
b. Check for dirt in lubrication holes and grooves. Holes and grooves must be clean and free from damage.
9. Oil Seals. Oil seals are mandatory replacement items.
10. Core Hole Expansion Plugs. Inspect for leakage. Replace plugs when leakage is present.
11. Machine-Tooled Parts. Inspect for cracks, breaks, elongated holes, wear, and chips. Replace any damaged
12. Machined Surfaces. Inspect for cracks, evidence of wear, galled or pitted surface, burrs, nicks, and scratches.
13. Mating Surfaces. Inspect for remains of old gasket or seal, loose fit, pitting, and evidence of leakage.
14. Rusted Surfaces. Inspect for pitting, holes, and severe damage.
15. Oil-Bathed Internal Parts. Inspect for cracks, nicks, burrs, evidence of overheating, and wear.
16. Internal Parts. Inspect for cracks, nicks, burrs, evidence of overheating, and wear.
17. Externally Exposed Parts. Inspect for breaks, cracks, rust damage, and wear.
18. Springs. Inspect for broken, collapsed, or twisted coils.
END OF TASK
a. Any repair procedure that pertains to a specific part or component is covered in the work package relating
to that item.
Repaired items must be thoroughly cleaned to remove metal chips and abrasives, and to
prevent them from entering working parts of the machine and damaging it.
b. After repair, clean all parts thoroughly to prevent dirt, metal chips, or other foreign material from entering
any working parts.
a. Only perform minor repairs on machined surfaces, flanges, and gasket mating surfaces. Remove minor
nicks, burrs, and scratches with:
(1) Fine-mill file.
(2) Crocus cloth dipped in solvent cleaning compound.