FRONT MAIN OIL SEAL REPLACEMENT CONTINUED
Be sure to check clearance between all timing gears as outlined in WP 0088 before
installing engine front cover. Failure to follow these instructions may result in damage to
11. Install oil pan.
13. Fill crankcase with lubricating oil (WP 0018).
15. Check coolant level in cooling system (WP 0018).
16. Start engine and check for leaks.
END OF TASK
Engine Run-In Schedule
After installation of new sleeve and piston sets or piston rings, engine must be run-in according to the following
conditioning schedule, before operating at normal load and speed.
1. Check and fill cooling system.
3. If engine was placed on its side during any inspection, repair, or replacement procedure, lubricating oil pump
must be primed as described in Priming Lubrication System in this work package.
Do not run engine at low idle speeds for long periods after installing new rings or sleeves,
as rings will not seat during idle operation.
Dynamometer Run-In Procedure
1. Install necessary diagnostic instruments.
2. Operate engine at no load at 550 to 600 RPM and check for leaks in water, lube oil, fuel, and air induction
systems; time required: 5 minutes.
3. Operate engine at 3/4 rated speed and 1/2 rated load (approximate) for that speed, time required: 5 to
4. Operate engine at Rated Horsepower and Rated Speed (RPM), time required: 35 to 40 minutes.
5. Recheck for oil, air, and water leaks, retighten cylinder head bolts and adjust valve lash (WP 0018).
6. Inspect and replace oil filters if necessary.
7. It is not necessary to change oil filter after above run-in schedule. The same oil may be used until next regular