3-9. FRONT AND REAR AXLES MAINTENANCE (CONT)
f. Rear Axle Plane tary Assemblies (Cont).
REMOVAL (SHEET 1 OF 2)
Before performing following steps, be sure that transport/service link
is in engaged position (refer to TM 5-3805-262-10) and chassis is
securely supported by jack stands. Failure to do so could cause chassis
to fall on you causing serious injury or death.
Using paint, put match marks on planetary gear spider (3) and wheel hub
(31) to aid installation.
(2) Remove 30 capscrews (1) and washers (2).
(3) Using two pry bars, separate planetary gear spider (3) from wheel hub
(31). Remove planetary gear spider.
(4) Disconnect brake line from brake caliper (refer to TM 5-3805-262-20).
(5) Remove brake caliper (refer to TM 5-3805-262-20).
Left and right axle shafts are different lengths. Mark axle shafts be-
(6) Remove axle shaft (4) with sun gear (20).