TROUBLESHOOTING WITHOUT A DIAGNOSTIC CODE
N OT E
For a better understanding of each system, review the appropriate section in Theory of Operation (WP
These procedures may give direction to replace wiring harnesses. However, limited repair of wiring har-
nesses is authorized. Refer to Electrical General Maintenance Instructions (WP 0022 00) for the correct
When directed to use a bypass harness and breakout Ts, refer to Electrical General Maintenance Instruc-
tions (WP 0022 00) for the correct hook-up procedures.
Table 1. Engine Troubleshooting.
TEST OR INSPECTION
N OT E
Engine Cannot Reach Top
If this problem occurs only under load, refer to Malfunction 17. "Low
Power/Poor or No Response to Throttle."
1. If tank is low, add fuel (TM 5-3805-
1. Check fuel gage by visually checking
for fuel in tank.
2. If problem still exists, go to Test 2.
2. Connect MSD and check for active or
1. Troubleshoot any active codes before
logged diagnostic codes using ET
continuing with this procedure. Refer
to Troubleshooting With a Diagnostic
2. If problem still exists, go to Test 3.
3. Check fuel pressure. Refer to Fuel
If problem still exists, go to Test 4.
If problem still exists, go to Test 5.
5. Perform Air in Fuel Test (WP 0011 00). If problem still exists, go to Test 6.
6. Ensure all fuel lines are tight, properly
1. Replace, tighten, secure, or clean fuel
secured, and free of restriction (WP
lines if necessary and replace fuel
0030 00, WP 0035 00, and WP 0038
filters as necessary (WP 0036 00).
2. If problem still exists, go to Test 7.
7. If temperature is below 32oF (0oC)
1. If solidified fuel is found, drain and fill
fuel tank (WP 0166 00).
check for solidified fuel (wax) in tank.
2. If problem still exists, go to Test 8.
8. Check restriction indicator on air
1. If restriction in indicated, clean or
replace air cleaner elements (WP 0032
00), remove any blockages or
restrictions, and replace damaged air
inlet and exhaust lines or hoses (WP
0033 00 and WP 0041 00).
2. If problem still exists, go to Test 9.