Table 1. 96 Fuel Level Sensor Diagnostic Codes.
CID FMI CODE
TEST OR INSPECTION
96-3 Fuel Level Sensor
Voltage Is Above Normal or
· Always inspect wiring harness connectors that are involved in the circuit.
Poor connections can often be the cause of a problem in an electrical
circuit. Verify that all connections in the circuit are clean and secure and
that all connections are in good condition. If a problem with the
connection is found, correct the problem and verify that this malfunction
or diagnostic code is active before performing this procedure.
· Perform open or short-circuit test at each wiring harness connection to
identify the correct wiring harness to replace.
· Tag all wiring harnesses to aid in installation.
· Perform this test only if condition is active.
DIAGNOSTIC CODE SET CONDITION
Transmission ECM detects fuel level sensor signal being shorted to the positive
· Rear frame wiring harness is shorted.
· Lower cab wiring harness is shorted.
· Transmission ECM.
Test Step 1. Check for Active
Connect MSD, select Transmission
Diagnostic Code 96-3 Active -
Proceed to Test Step 2.
924H, and check for active diagnostic
Diagnostic Code 96-3 Not Active -
Troubleshooting is complete.
Test Step 2. Test for Shorted Rear
Frame Wiring Harness.
1. Turn ignition switch and battery
disconnect switch to OFF position
2. Remove oil cooler cover for
access to wiring harness
connectors (WP 0340).
3. Disconnect connector M-C12