BHL OPERATING PROCEDURES - Continued
For description and use of operator controls and indicators, refer to WP 0004 thru
Before operating the BHL, perform all "Before" Preventive Maintenance Checks and
1. Adjust seat for most comfort; then fasten seat belt.
2. Make sure service brakes can be fully operated while sitting with seat belt fastened.
3. Start engine.
4. Decrease engine speed to idle when engine is warm and perform the following:
a. Check instrument panel to make sure instrument readings are normal.
b. Make sure backhoe is in transport position and stabilizers are raised.
Raise FEL about 2 feet (0.6m) above ground and roll bucket back against stops.
d. Test parking brake in open area on hard level surface as follows:
(1) Shift gear selection control lever to 3rd gear.
(2) Engage parking brake and shift direction control lever to forward position.
(3) Increase engine speed to 1,500 rpm. The BHL must not move.
(4) Adjust parking brake if the BHL moves (WP 0023).
5. Disengage parking brake and test service brakes in open area on hard level surface as follows:
a. Make sure service brake pedals are locked together.
b. Shift gear selection control lever to forward 2nd gear and disengage parking brake.
Shift direction control lever to forward position and increase engine speed to full throttle.
d. When the BHL is moving at full speed in 2nd gear, push service brakes and stop the BHL. The BHL
must stop smoothly and brake pedal effort must feel firm.
e. Notify field level maintenance for repair if required.
The BHL is now ready for operation.
Monitor "During" PMCS procedures.